When it comes to indulging, Super Bowl Sunday tends to be right up there with Christmas! Although I totally think it is ok to indulge in some treats here and there, it is always nice to have some healthier options on hand. Not only will your body thank you for it, I can almost guarantee that some of your guests will also appreciate the healthy alternatives. Here are my top 6 Super Bowl treats for 2017!
1. Meatloaf Muffins
Seriously-these are amazing! I have yet to meet someone that does not like them. They are the perfect snack size option to serve up on game day.
• 1 organic egg
• 1/2 can organic tomato paste
• 1/4 tbsp dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 tsp of your fav hot sauce (I used sriracha)
• 1 pounds organic ground beef
• 1/2 cup wheat free rolled oats
• 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp coconut sugar or sucanat
• 1/4 cup organic ketchup
• 1 tbsp organic dijon mustard
• 1 tbsp prepared horseradish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
3. Lightly whisk eggs in large bowl. Whisk in tomato paste, herbs and hot sauce.
4. Add ground beef, oats, and onions. Using your hands, thoroughly blend everything together. Evenly mound the seasoned ground beef into the muffin cups.
5. Whisk together the topping ingredients and brush evenly over the meaty muffin tops.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Chicken Wings
Chicken wings are a game time favourite. Unfortunately, when you order them they tend to come deep fried which means they are loaded in fat-the EVIL trans fat! Luckily there are tons of ways to still enjoy these without throwing them into a batch of oil.
2 lbs chicken wings
½ cup plain yogurt (I personally prefer goats yogurt)
1 tbsp lemon zest or 1-2 tbsp. sriracha (depending on which flavour you want)
1 tbsp thyme
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Mix ingredients in bowl and baste chicken wings with half of the dressing.
3. Cook wings on a well greased baking sheet for 15 minutes. Flip and baste with remaining dressing.
4. Cook for approximately 15 more minutes until no longer pink.
3. Shrimp Ring
1. Go to the store.
2. Buy a shrimp ring, defrost, eat.
(Seriously-Did you think I was going to make you go catch them yourself?)
4. Sweet Potato skins
Is there anything sweet potatoes can't do? I use them in all my meals...even ice cream. Sweet potatoes have a delicious, sweet taste and are high in fiber, Vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), Vitamin C and potassium. Sweet potatoes also contain some L-tryptophan which is needed to make serotonin (our happy neurotransmitter)! So eat and be happy!
4 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
3 strips Bacon (antibiotic and hormone free)
Shredded cheese *I prefer goat cheese as a healthier alternative but since its game day I will allow it
1. Wash potatoes and pierce with a fork. Bake at 350F for about an hour or until tender.
2. Cook bacon, cool and chop into bits.
3. Cut potatoes in half lengthways and scoop out the inside (leave a thin layer).
4. Mash sweet potato and mix with 1 tbsp butter.
5. Once cool, coat potato skins with oil and bake for 5-10 minutes to make them crispy.
6. Fill potato skins with mashed mixture. Top with cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
7. Top with chives, bacon, and 1 tsp sour cream.
5. Veggie Tray
You can never go wrong with a veggie tray. You will always find people snacking on it.
Any vegetables you want! My favs include: celery, carrots, peppers, radish and cucumber.
1. Wash and chop (or buy pre-cut)!
2. Serve with this awesome cashew dip from the lovely Joy McCarthy over at Joyous Health.
6. Bacon Wrapped Dates
These are little bite sized pieces of heaven! The perfect combination of salty and sweet.
Bacon (antibiotic and hormone free)
Pitted Medjool Dates halved.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Cut bacon strips in half.
3. Wrap 1 bacon slice around ½ date and secure with toothpick.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bacon is cooked to desired liking.
Happy Super Bowl!
Lucy is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist and Personal Trainer with a thirst for good food, fitness, cats, travel and adventure!